Over 80 debaters, teachers and trainers from 25 countries (Singapore, Afghanistan, USA, Ireland, Netherlands, Poland, Slovenia, Italy, Finland, Serbia, France, Croatia, Germany, Thailand, Ukraine, Romania, Hungary, Venezuela, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Scotland, Hong Kong, Moldova, Montenegro, England, Wales and perhaps more) are having quite a time in Ormoz, Slovenia at the Seventh International Debate Academy Slovenia, a week long intensive training program that concludes with a tournament in Ljubljana.
Each day has a lecture, that is followed by exercises for everyone, divided into beginner, intermediate and advanced groups. Lectures for the advanced cover basic areas for debating, such as International Relations (Anne Valkering), Ecology (Alfred Snider), Economics (Rhydian Morgan), Law and Justice (Chris Langone) and Principle and Philosophy (Stephen Boyle). For intermediate and beginners, there is a more mundane sequence: public speaking, proposition strategy, opposition strategy, second team strategy and points of information.
Each day there are a series of electives in the afternoon that students can choose from.
- Style, Chris Langone
- Note taking, Alfred Snider
- Argument building, Gavin Illsley
- 13 Minutes Prep, Loke Wing Fatt
- Motion Analysis, Jens Fischer
- Debating Secessionist Movements, Maja Nenadovic
- Whip Speeches, Isa Loewe
- Basic Reasoning, Chris Langone
- How to NOT Get Last When you Don't Know Shit, Anne Valkering
- 12 Ways to Refute an Argument, Jens Fischer
- Making Your Arguments More Important, Alfred Snider
- Persuasion Techniques, Chris Langone
- Debating Humanitarian Intervention, Isa Loewe
- Making GOOD Slippery Slope Arguments, Gavin Illsley
- Fundraising, Anne Valkering
- Rules of the WUDC Format, Loke Wing Fatt
- Preparation for Tournaments, Bojana Skrt
- Debating Turkey & the EU, Stephen Boyle
- Better Team Work, Maja Nenadovic
- Principles of International Law, Jens Fischer
- Democratization, Maja Nenadovic
- Debating Law, Chris Langone
- Opposition One, Gavin Illsley
- Policy, Value & Analysis Motions, Anne Valkering
- Tabulating Competions & Using Tab Software, Jens Fischer
- International Criminal Court, Isa Loewe
- If English is NOT Your First Language, Bojana Skrt
- Debating Ecology, Alfred Snider
- Governments & Economics, Stephen Boyle
There have been some teacher and trainer sessions:
- Organizing a Debate Team, Bojana Skrt
- Training and Coaching, Loke Wing Fatt & Bojana Skrt
- Tournament Hosting and Organizing, Anne Valkering
There have been two public debates:
Student-Faculty Demonstration Debate, Saturday Night
- Faculty: Loke Wing Fatt & Gavin Illsley, Isa Loewe & Anne Valkering
- Students: Anna England Kerr & Crt Podlogar, Filip Dobranic & Maja Cimerman
- Motion: This House supports mandatory vaccinations.
- Critics: Jens Fischer & Chris Langone
World Schools Demonstration Debate, Monday Night
- Proposition: Slovenia National Team
- Opposition: Romanian National Team
- Motion: This House would deny the right to strike to workers in essential area.
- Critic: Gavin Illsley
Practice debate motions will move from easier to more difficult, prep time starts at 30 minutes and will be cut down to 15. Here are the motions for Sunday & Monday.
- This House would not negotiate with pirates.
- This House would not eat meat
- This House would pay a wage to stay at home parents
- Thisd House would legalize soft drugs.
We have had two awesome parties that lasted late into the night and had music, dancing and much frivolity.
- Sunday night - country exhibition
- Monday night - kitsch party (strange clothing, cross-dressing, unusual make up)
Our Faculty includes:
- Stephen Boyle, Ireland, Irish Times Champion, twice breaking at WUDC, now University of Vermont
- Loke Wing Fatt, Singapore, SAID, the debating monk
- Jens Fischer, Germany, President European Debating Council
- Gavin Illsley, Scotland, communication consultant
- Chris Langone, USA, lawyer & Cornell University
- Isa Loewe, Germany/France, European ESL Champion
- Rhydian Morgan, Wales, Stylus Communications
- Maja Nenadovic, Hungary, University of Amsterdam
- Bojana Skrt, Slovenia, ZIP
- Thepparith Senamngern, Thailand, WUDC Convener Bangkok 2008
- Alfred Snider, USA, University of Vermont, World Debate Institute
- Anne Valkering, Netherlands, WUDC ESL Champion 2008, Bonaparte University
More news coming in a day or so.