The Qatar Debate Academy is being held under the sponsorship of QatarDebate and the Qatar Foundation, with the assistance of the World Debate Institute at the University of Vermont and Za in Proti Slovenia. It will run from October 30 until November 7 2009. The event is designed to bring debating nations together with nations that are relatively new to debate to offer high levels of instruction from a varied multinational faculty.
The program will involve an extended workshop and a tournament.
Countries that will be attending with two teachers and five high school debaters are:
- New Zealand
- UAE (United Arab Emirates)
The following countries are bringing two teachers from different schools to receive training in all areas of debate:
- Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
The faculty currently includes:
- Piyanart Faktangporn, Chulalongkorn University, Thailand
- Loke Wing Fatt, S.A.I.D., Singapore
- Sam Greenland, University of Sydney, Australia
- Rhydian Morgan, Stylus Communication, UK
- Sam Nelson, Cornell University, USA
- Debbie Newman, UK
- Erin O'Brien, Queensland University, Australia
- Omar Salahuddin bin Abdullah, Malaysia
- Bojana Skrt, Z.I.P., Slovenia
- Alfred Snider, University of Vermont, USA
- Miranda Weigler, Colgate University, USA
More will be confirmed later.
More news will be coming.
Learn more about QatarDebate at